The ToyBox project is a made-in-Manitoba grassroots initiative, aimed at caregivers and their 2-8-year-old children. The release of these new strategies this Winter is supported by SafeAtHomeManitoba.ca. People who sign up will receive one activity on: Literacy Mondays, Wellness Wednesdays, and Numeracy Fridays for the next twelve weeks! They can be done once or many times, or they can be changed. They are quick and easy, and complement what families are already doing at home.
You could be either be a ToyBox tester, trying out our activities and telling us how they like them through a feedback survey, or they can just receive the activities and use them with no commitment. All ideas have been reviewed by experts and the University of Winnipeg ethics committee, and are geared to improving learning.
Some additional suggestions and information for parents and caregivers:
· Feel free to change the activities based on your child(ren)’s learning and physical abilities. There is no ‘one size fits all.’
· Descriptions help you to understand how the activity relates to learning and wellbeing.
· Wellness strategies are included so families can take care of themselves. These strategies can be for caregivers, children or both! They help you stay happy and calm so you can take on the literacy and numeracy strategies. Enjoy them!
· Levels of difficulty provide options for families to choose appropriate activities. Parents know their children best and can choose the activity that is at the right level for each child. Do not force the strategy if your child does not want to do it or is not ready for it. Activities should be stress-free.
· Activities work best when parents and children participate together.
· Activities can be adapted to be practiced in different languages. Use the activities to support your values and what you already do at home.
Caregivers who are interested can sign up at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email us at that address if you have any questions.
Dr. Sheri-Lynn Skwarchuk and the ToyBox Team
515 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9